Let me preface this comment by saying that I love quadbiking, mororcycles, and cars. There is not greater passion (after my husband and daughter) in my life than the love I have for motorsport.
What the hell are the quad bikers doing tearing around in neighbourhoods when we have a country blessed with sand dunes and dirt roads just made for quad biking? The bausher dunes are no more than fifteen minutes from anywhere in central muscat. It's not like this in NYC or London and there is no where else available for them to ride.
We've got kids and teens on quadbikes racing up and down the streets here in our neighbourhood. They are a nusance because of the noise and the danger they pose to the hundreds of small children playing in the streets and empty lots. Despite requests from the entire neighbourhood, they have consistently exibited a disregard for the needs of anyone but themselves. I am ashamed to admit it, but when I heard about this yesterday I was secretly hoping it was the ones on my block who died.
The story as I heard it, was that they were caught freewheeling by the ROP, who tried to confront them to stop. On seeing the ROP they tried to escape, eventually running through an intersection, and being crushed by a vahicle that had the right of way and didn't see them coming. As much as I grieve for the parents, it seems that these guys suffered the consequences of thier own actions.
- Freewheeling where they shouldn't,
- Running from the police,
- endangering the lives of others in the course of the chase.
Unforgivably selfish actions. I feel the saddest for whomever was driving the car that hit them, he or she will have to live with the image for the rest of thier lives.
I've said this before, and I"ll keep saying it until someone listens;
- We need the Auto Club or an independant investor to create an environment for motorsport here in the SUltanate. A Drag strip, A track, space for quad biking, and the oppertunity to train drivers and bikers on racing techniques. A controlled, designated place for the kids and the adults to race.
- We need better driver education. Any Idiot with a lisence can instruct drivers here, and that's not on.
- Then the ROP needs a Zero-tolerance policy to racing and quadbiking in the neighbourhoods. You get Caught, your vehicle is impounded on the spot, your driving lisence revoked, and you can spend the night in Jail.
more from here as it happens