Monday, November 26, 2007

house keeping, corruption, hand jobs and true friendship.

  • In future posts, My husband will be referred to as Stone. Because it was getting really repetitive to type "my husband this" and "My Husband That" over and over again. I have yet to pick names for the kiddies.
  • Is anyone else following the news about the Saudi rape case where the victim of a gang rape was sentenced to 200 lashes because the rape occurred while she was out with an unrelated male, without a Guardian? Reason # 259,611,172 that I don't have a Saudi passport. I am speechless.
  • Also in the news, allegations of a certain Omani ex-telcom minister receiving a 1.9 million dollar sweetener after awarding a contract to Ericsson in the late nineties. This Guy blogged about it here. It's a good read.
  • This guy also blogged about the strange Omantel deal for the Pakistani telcom. Muscati blogged about it as well, over on the Oman community blog. It smells a bit fishy as well... Nawras executives must be high fiving each other this week.
  • The Oman Web Awards 2007 is coming up, Go on over and have a read about what Blue_Chi has written regarding the Oman Web Awards 2006 and the Oman Web Awards 2005.

Maybe all the prostitutes really have gone into hiding. We've been searching seedy bars since eid, and have only located a handfull of working girls, all of them strangely clad in Abayah. A report is forthcoming, I promise.

On a similar vein, Last night I was trying to convince Stone to go get a few massages and see if he could score a "happy ending". I was like "babe, I NEEEEEED you to research this for me...." and he said it made him feel a little uncomfortable that his wife was demanding that he go get hand jobs from strange women, even if it was in the name of research. I don't know who is luckier, him or me. Stone has elected not to assist in the research project.

I saw my friend Ahmed the other day. Ahmed and I worked together off and on for three years or so, and as a result, we've traveled most of the Middle East together, seen some really insane stuff on the road, had to share a seedy hotel room when a flight was cancelled, and I once tried to kill him with my bare hands. He is a really, really, really true friend.

I forgot how good it is to spend some time with someone who really knows me, and who understands my sense of humour, and who isn't interested in discussing diapers, baby toys, or politics. Ahmed, It was really good to see you.

What are the shared experiences that make a particular friendship strong? I don't know.

more later.

5 comments:

TeacherLady said...

I took my hubbie to a Chinese massage parlor in Abu Dhabi and I told him to let me know if he got the "special massage" afterwards... He was disappointed. I laughed. I got a massage at the same place at the same time, and if I don't get a happy ending, neither does he. I know I probably ruined his changes by being there, but it was worth a go.

sythe said...

I am interested in your piece on the prostitutes... so keep up the research!!

I read about that poor woman who got 200 lashes for being raped, and the lawyer that defended her had his liscense taken away as well... totally insane, those saudi judges need a slap.

Your comments of corruption in Omantel/Oman Mobile deserve press, as does Muscati for voicing it on the OCB. I'm astounded that there are people that think they can get away with blatant stuff like this with a TRADED company. The shame of it is, they probably will.

An absolute disgrace.

آمنة said...

Hi Suburban,
I have been following the news about the Qatif girl, it is very sad and big injustice.

I thought you might be interested to read this letter from a Saudi student in America to an American fellow who asked about the case, he answered logically. I am not saying what happened is fair (nor the student is saying this) or that it can be explained. But there are some details I didn't hear from the media...

Suburban said...

TL- Hilarious! Indeed, perhaps by being there you squashed his thunder a little bit. By the way, I loooove your blog.

Sythe- We are all interested in prositiutes, belive me. 50% of the traffic for the blog comes here looking for prostitutes. Which absolutley cracks me up.

To clarify on the Saudi rape case, she wasn't sentinced to 200 lashes for being raped, but for being out in public withour a Mahram, or guardian who is related to her. That ruling is pretty much as per sharia. What really offends me is that the courts didn't see fit to use discretion and intellegence in her sentencing. They just blindly threw the book at her, disregarding that she has suffered enough already.

----------------------آمنة

Thanks for stopping by, and for the comments. I am in total agreement with you that it's sad and an injustice. Like I said in the post, it will be a cold day in hell before I hold a Saudi.

That the government and outsiders not present in the courtroom have effectively launched a smear comapigh against the woman, her husband, (at the time of the rape her fiancee, incorrectly reported by your source) and the man she was in public with before the rape ocurred is sick, and a truly pathetic use of propaganda.

Many of the accusations (which the government is putting forth as facts) about what went on in the car between the girl and her friend are based on claims by the three rapists. Who, I beleive, have something of a vested interest in portraying her in a less than virtious light.

That she broke the law of the land by being alone with her friend is indesputable. That under ordinary curcumstances that would warrant punishment is a given. That the Judiciary in Saudia handed down a insanely light sentence to the rapists, and an excessively harsh sentince to her is insanity.

JP said...

I think many of us are interested in the prostitutes research! Keep those details coming Suburban. And I can't believe your hubby turned down a hand job... keep working on him. I'm sure it was just a first response!

As to Sythe's pointer and what's going on at Amjed's blog on the Saudi Woman... Whenever I get down about some crazyness in Oman, it always helps to think 'at least I'm not in Saudi'