I wash the outside of my car once a month. I would do it less often, but it is illegal to have a dirty car in Oman, and I think waiting a month between washed is pushing it enough. Also, I hate the car wash in my neighbourhood.
Anyway, once a month I trundle over to the "automatic" carwash and hand over 1.4 rials in exchange for a cleanish car and fifteen minutes of tedium. Following, in convenient bullet point form, is the routine we go through every time I want the car washed.
- Arrive at Carwash, wait for carwash supervisor to notice me.
- Ask for a quick wash, No I don't need the car hand dried.
- Tell Supervisor that I don't need a receipt, and could he just take the money and let me go through now.
- Supervisor pretends not to hear me.
- Wait as supervisor finds carbon copy forms, and fills them out (in triplicate!) with the date, time, service requested, and the car's registration number.
- Take the white and pink copies, leaving the yellow copy with Supervisor. Hand over 1.4 Rials, becasue it costs more to wash a small 4x4 than it does to wash a regular car, in an automatic car wash.
- Wait and nod absent mindedly as supervisor circles my car pointing out all the bits that are loose, scratched, or otherwise cosmetically comprimised. Because my entire car is pretty much cosmetically comprimised, he might as well just stand back ten feet and point to the car as a whole.
- Explain that the Wing mirrors don't fold in. They came from the factory like that. Argue about weather the Automatic car wash will rip them off with it's Category 5 hurricane Power.
- Explain that the Automatic car wash has been engineered by people smarter than both of us, and designed to safely wash every passenger car commercially produced and sold worldwide.
- Wait as he tapes the back wiper to the car.
- Pull forward into the Automatic car wash Finally get my car washed.
- Pull out of the car wash, and drive round to the drying area to hand over the pink copy of the receipt to the carwash supervisor on the other side
- Un tape back window wiper, re attach front number plate
- Drive home, and allow the car to dry itself.
Seriously, I have been through that car wash 64 times by my estimation, it has never taken me less than 15 minutes to getthrough an experience that should take three minutes tops. Unreal.