Monday, June 23, 2008

Mafi Dubai?

Sometimes we go to the PDO club for drinks, and occasionally the conversations turns to what would hapen if Fundo-islamo-terrorists rowed up to the beach and attampted to "take" the club.

The concensus is that someone would offer the guys a corona, put some Bob Marley on the sound system, and the next thing you know you have a bunch of Rastafarian Taliban. Groovy.

So you can imagine my astonishment when I heard that One night last week, at three in the morning, 20 Iranian's rowed ashore to PDO Beach. No kidding!

It took the PDO Security guys more than an hour to round them up and deposit them in the hands of the ROP, who were apparently pretty uninterested in collecting them. Thier Smuggler had dropped them off near the big Island, pointed towards Qurum, and said Dubai was just around the corner. Poor things.

I heard something like this happened last year in Mattrah as well, but that was from an unconfirmed source. I heard this from someone who was there in person. Apparently the Security guards on duty got a gold star and 50 rials as thanks. Cute.

4 comments:

Muscato said...

But of course, there's no human trafficking in or through the Blessed Sultanate!

L_Oman said...

No way!

And that's right - there is no human trafficking. Ugh! Doesn't anyone get it?!?!

Suburban said...

Muscato,

Yes and No. I think this was more of an illegal immigration thing, as opposed to individuals being trafficked against thier own will. THat said, had they made it into the country without detection, they would have been highly vulnerable to exploitation, here or in Dubai. Thanks for the comment!

L_Oman-

Way. Way. Way. Before I decided to feel sad for the guys, I spent twenty minutes laughing. The image of the Iranians being chased in circles by the adorable Security guys was just too much.

There is human trafficking here! I know some of the girls, and a lot of the Labourers. I am thinking I should offer guided tours and interviews to some of the skeptics. :)

L_Oman said...

Subs - I'm sure you knew I was being sarcastic about the trafficking thing. Let me get my posse together with your posse and we'll have a parade.