The Omani Blogosphere has been talking about the Crraaaaazy dishdash designs, and the MOCI circular distributed forbuddubg tailors from getting too creative with the designs. My thoughts on the matter in a minute, but for now: a quick round up of the blogs that are talking about this issue.
First to blog locally about it was Blu Chi, who was rightly outraged that the Ministry of anything has the right to dictate fashon. His rant is fantastic.
Next up was Al Mawalli over at Be in Oman, who was more amused than outraged at this latest peice of stupidity from MOCI.
Omanymous posted a selection of photos of some really outrageous Saudi Dishdasha, think Gene Simmons from Kiss, or Elvis in his twilight years. Go look, they are really rediculous.
Leo Americanus posted a yet another thoughtfull and intellegent analysis of the knee-jerk reaction of the Saudi Muttawa et. all to the revised saudi thobe designs. I think it's equally relevant here.
TI3GIB posted the sole voice in suport of the Ministries decision. Go read his thoughts on the matter here.
Famous Saudi Blogger Saudi Jeans is talking about the new cool thobes that are maiing appearances in Saudi. His commenters are not too sure if they like the style.
My opinion in a Nutshell:
- A bad, foolish, and ignorant idea.
- Dictating something like this is the thin end of the wedge.
- Next up maybe we should ban Non-traditional Toasted Shwarma.
- After that we should relegate our Non-Traditional toilet paper to the Pork Room at Al Fair.
- After that perhaps the government should look into the Non-Traditional Fast foods we are jamming into our gobs.
- And from Now on, you are only allowed to drive the Traditional Camel or Donkey, or if you are really important you can drive the Quasi-traditional Abu Shenab.
- Lastly, if MOCI wants to start attacking non-traditional choices of clothing, then let's start with the Abaya. An imported fashion statement (thank you Trickle-down Wahaabi Petro-dollar fashion!) which is decidedly not traditional to Oman.
End of Rant. OK guys, bring me some VIN numbers now!!!!