Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ramadhan Kareem!

My Goals for this Ramadhan are to smile at everyone I see, pay as many sincere complements to strangers as I can, and to avoid getting into a varbal or physical confrontation with another driver. I have stopped smiling at people or speaking to strangers because I occasionally receive the wrong kind of attention as a result. Two Ramadhan's ago, I almost physically assaulted another driver. I blame the fact that I was 9 months pregnant, and driving the Abu Shenab, which is usually 25 degrees hotter inside than the outside air. But whatever.

Do any of you guys set goals for personal self improvement over Ramadhan?

Having spent two hours in traffic today, while my radiator boiled over and my A/C quit working, while my two year old daughter cried and sweated in the boiling hot back seat of the car, many other drivers were doing thier utmost to test my resolution on item # 3. I am not sure how the month will work out. Give me strenth.

The Smiling and Complementing is going great, and on the roads today I let lots of people cut in front of me, used my turn signals religously, and never blocked intersections, and waved at everybody who pushed in front of me from the "emergency" lane. I even waved using my whole hand!

I did these things while trying to remind myself that I cannot know thier motivations for driving in such a mindbogglingly selfish manner and it's not for me to judge them. But inside my head I was still calling them Ass-Clowns. I just judged them, called them assclowns. Not nice. This is hard.

I'll be blogging intermittently over Ramadhan, because my beloved ( 5 years old!) laptop is going into the shop for a Rebuild.

Wishing you all a blessed Ramadhan. I hope it's filled with a spirit of compassion, empathy, kindness, service to others.



An Afterthought: I saw six accidents today, and just heard what sounded like a really big one as I was typing this. Huge crash, followed by squealing tires, and three other smaller crashes. Drive safely this month. Please, Please, Please, Please drive safely this month.

2 comments:

Nzingha said...

If you were over heating and all the could do was drive around you rather than help you than I agree w/ the classification of ass clowns (which made me laugh)

yuseff said...

omg this post is HILARIOUS!!