Friday, December 12, 2008

I am a Zax

I spent a couple of hours at the ROP station last night, over something that was rather stupid.

Doing rather stupid things is what causes everyone to end up in an ROP station, come to think of it....

There is a narrow street near my house, only just wide enough for one car to fit through the choke point at a time. It's supposed to be a one-way I think, but the sign to that effect was knocked down years ago, and everybody uses it as a two way street.

The choke point is not a problem, because everyone takes turns giving way, depending on the traffic situation at the time. Usually, there is a wave, a smile, or a how's it going passed between the drivers of the cars. It's about as warm and fuzzy as things ever get in Ghubra.

Last night, however, I found myself in some sort of bizarre standoff with a woman who wouldn't back up to let me pass. I would have backed up myself, except that there were cars behind me, and the angle of the slope meant I couldn't see what I was backing uphill into / over.

I needed her to back up three feet to be clear of the choke point, and after which I could slip through, and we could both be on our way. She had no one behind her, a clear view of where she could back up, and could back up by pressing in the clutch and rolling backward, down hill.

After waiting a minute, I got out of the car and explained that I couldn't back up because of the cars behind me, and that I couldn't pass her because there was not enough room. I was really, really, really polite, and said please, and smiled. She scowled at me and said I should go around or back up to let her through, and I again explained that the laws of physics could not be altered to suit her whims. My car is wide, and requires a finite amount of space to pass, the cars behind me are unlikely to magically dissapear just before I collide with them. Could you please back up three feet and we can be on our way?

And then she jumps out of the car and goes " I don't need this Shit from you!!!"

And I was like "Wha? Wha? Wha? Did you just swear at me? "

At this stage, Stone hops out of his car, (he was one of the cars behind me) and Tells the lady to move her car back a little bit so everyone can get going. and she yells some nonsense at him, and says she's not moving backwards even if she has to stay here forever. Really mature.

I have lost my temper by now, and am contemplating running her, and her Dihatsu Cappucino or whatever, over. I tell her that she needs to move, or I'm calling the police, and Stone snaps three photos of her lisence plate and the front of our cars. Eventually, she moves her car forward and to the right enough for me to get past by putting the right wheels up over the curb, to the sound of wheel rims grinding on concrete. I get past her, hop out of the car, and because I am flaming mad, tell her she should be ashamed of herself, and that swearing at me was really unflattering.

On arrival home, I figure that this is not going to be the last I hear of this woman, so I phone the ROP and guve the basic debrief to one of the nice officers on the phone. He says I can file a report at the station, and I say it's not really neccicarry to make a big deal out of this. Could he be so kind as to remember my name and the conversation we just had. No problem madam, Eid Mubarak!

An hour later the ROP call and ask stone to please come to the police station. Sure enough, the woman wants to press charges against stone for taking Pictures of her. The woman was too much of a coward to meet with the us herself, so her husband was there to confront us with this "serious" allegation, while she hid in a back room somewhere.

Stone showed the ROP, and the husband, that the photos he had taken were of the lisence plates, and the situation, for the very reason of covering our asses if this woman decided to make a problem. There were no photos of her on the camera. The ROP called and spoke to the operator I had conversed with shortly after the incident, and he confirmed everything I had told him. I then underlined the situation as it had happened, complete with diagrams, and asked if it was OK to swear at strangers, obstruct traffic, and waste the time of everyone involved making false claims about "indecent photographs" .

Her husband was really embarassed, and after I demanded to see her in person, and not her Husband, I got to chew her out in person. Unsuprisingly she was totally unoppologetic. I'm hoping she thinks twice before expecting the ROP to belive a made up story about harassment so she can exact petty vengance on people she belives she can push around.

The ROP were, as always fantastic, honest, and not too busy to hear all sides of the story. Absolutley no Wasta was used or needed in this situation, Stone and I were just ordinary people, and so were the complaintants. Nice Job ROP.

In hindsight, If I were a smarter person, I would have set the parking brake, walked around behind my truck, and asked the cars waiting behind me to back up, Had Stone keep watch for anything I couldn't see behind me, and let the stupid cunt through. I am also a stubborn idiot.

Stone thinks the reason she wouldn't back up is because she doesn't know how.


For those of you who don't get the ZAX refrence, See below.

7 comments:

Undercover Dragon said...

Great post Suburban. Good job you CYA with the phone call to the ROP.

Going up against a Muscat Princess and winning!!!

muscati said...

Sometimes I think the only active policing the ROP does these days is this "she said, she said" business.

Suburban said...

UD- Thanks. Her allegations were complete B.S. However, I feel a little stupid for loosing my temper as well.

Muscati, I think you're right. It's a bit of a shame, given the other stuff they could be focusing on.

Bobby said...

hats off to you lady!
Gr8 job!
you had been good to her at the road! - I wud have slapped her on her face, if I was you!
if it was my sister, it wud hv been worse! :)

sythe said...

That's too funny.... didn't put it in reverse because she didn't know how... I'm laughing because its probably true!

Surely the big beast that you drive could double as a house? I like to think I would of driven over the coffee car but I probably would of backed up because I live in constant fear of a phone call from the ROP from some disgruntled person.

:)

At least the new laptop is producing more frequent blogs... :D

Jet Driver said...

Awesome!

Nice post, Suburban.

JD

Anonymous said...

Have you swapped blogs with Angry in Oman?