Friday, December 12, 2008

Now for something completley different

I don't know if any of you are following the news surrounding the big three US car makers. I don't know how many of you have driven a 1957 Cadillac, or a Old school dodge pickup, or a 67' Mustang. They are things Of Beauty.

If you have a list of things you must do before you die, can I reccomend that you add to it a private visit to the garage below the ATCUAE HQ in Dubai, and a quickie visit to the Rainbow Sheikh's place on the way to Liwa. Because the collections are amazing, and will assist you in understanding why the US carmakers should be bailed out, again, as long as they agree to start making cars like they used to. Things of beauty.

I Read this Blog religously, and the guy who writes it has effectively convinced me to move to Detroit with his pictures alone. He wrote a really excellent post about why the big three shouldn't die and it really resonated with me. Go have a read, because it's the sort of thing I wish I could write.

More tomorrow, and an explination about why Mac donald's play areas smell like urine.

4 comments:

muscati said...

The Big Three should do not deserve to be kept alive. If it weren't for the hundreds of thousands of jobs that are at stake the US government wouldn't even think of bailing them out.

Have you read the New York Times article on GM? Here's a link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/business/06motors.html?_r=1

boxster said...

I'm with muscati on this one.

Those are some of the most mismanaged companies in the world, producing inferior product in the most inefficient manner.

I would rather the bailout money was invested into US-based renewable energy R&D, factories, infrastructure: the amount of sustainable jobs created would compensate for those lost at the big 3, with minimum re-training involved.

I have to say, I am sympathetic with Suburban's sentiments about the good old Detroit steel. But admit it - you can only love today's Big 3 product only if you love always tinkering under the hood (i.e. having repairs/service done).

Jet Driver said...

Bail them out, but wait until the share prices fall later today.

I need to cash in on the drop!

JD

Jet Driver said...

Suburban

Can you get your finger out and start blogging? :)

JD