Monday, December 21, 2009

An Open Letter to the Times Of Oman

Dear Sir,

I must vehemently disagree with the viewpoints presented in Fahad Al Ghadani's article (Need for Dress Code at Beaches, Times Of Oman 19/12/09). I, for one, would like to see more foreign women in inappropriate clothing and revealing swim suits on our beaches and in our shops. The scantily clad western tourists provide me and thousands of other young men with hours of entertainment weekly, as well as what is, likely, our only current opportunity to interact with a real semi-naked woman.

Given the lack of any suitable entertainment options for young Omani men in the capital and villages, Girl-watching keeps many of us busy and out of trouble, when otherwise idle hands could turn to crime. It is also worth noting that the revealingly dressed tourists are assisting in confirming the useful stereotype that western women are skanky and easy. On Behalf of young Omani Men everywhere, I beg of you, please do not encourage such dress codes on the beaches.

-Said Al Sardi
AKA Subruban Muscat

9 comments:

Oman's Collective Intelligence said...

One word....fantastic!

Undercover Dragon said...

Nice one Suburban!

I am also a fan of the bikini I'll confess. Could they not give away a burkini at the airport?

If only the ones in Lulu could avoid the open mouthed drool/zombie look.

Hope they publish it!

Dragon

fred_says said...

roflmfao

Sythe said...

Heh - love the letter ;)

Anonymous said...

Suburban,
You've made it clear you don't like Western women. Why do you want to "look" at them? Is it because the enforced slavery of women in Oman and the rest of the Muslim world that won't allow them, or you, to enjoy the body God gave them? I wonder what else you and your friends are doing with your "idle hands?"

Muscato said...

You, Anonymous, are an idiot without sense enough to read enough of a blog to know what's going on...

Undercover Dragon said...

Anon

LMAOFOFL
What a great non-sequitur...

And Sub', the idle hands joke is still making me grin...

Did they publish it?

Suburban said...

Anon,

just FYI, I'm a Woman and like most women here, I am not repressed in the slightest. You would be best fighting your own battles instead of trying to fight ours for us. Feel free to send me a six-pack of Micro-brewed Wheat beer from the land of emancipated women. I love beer.

Muscato, thanks for firing back on my behalf, my internet's been down all week. You are a good guy.

No, they didn't publish it, but I hope it gave the editors a laugh.

Al-Maawali said...

LOL! I loved it! Every bit of it! That was almost poetic :p