Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And, That's It.

Today was our last day in Oman. It's been a hell of a ride.

My Freinds on twitter and in real life all deserve a huge thank you for putting up with my Non-Stop Bitching over the last month. You would Honestly think I am the only person on earth who ever moved country. THe move has been complicated somewhat by Stone being gone for the last 40 days. You heard me right, Stone was in Houston, working, while I was here doing the move, selling the cars, and Re-Homing the maid (It was Absolute Hell, thanks for asking). Anyway, all the cars are sold, the house is packed, the phones disconnected, and we are living it large at the Chedi, until midnight, when we go to Seeb Airport for the last time.

I've been here for most of my adult life, and Stone has been here off and on since the early 90's, we met here, fell in love here, I became a mother here. I have been absolutely awed and humbled by the generosity and kindness shown to me by so many wonderful people here, both online and off. I am honored to have an extended Omani family, who love me even though I am a total freak by their standards, and treat me like one of their own.

I have amassed a collection of experiences so wild and wide ranging, that I myself can hardly believe some of them. I have driven race and rally cars, Spent the night in a police station, cooked for royalty,and testified in an Omani court. I have shared fleabag hotel rooms near the Saudi border with 10 sweaty Arab mechanics, and partied like a rock star in palaces belonging to guys you see in the papers all the time.

I have watched 2 people die, one of them a child, both due to carelessness. I worked on a Yacht full of crazy people. I have walked in on a well known Arab Motorsport Journalist in a hot tub with 2  Moroccan hookers, and been astonished mostly by the tremendous amount of body hair the guy had. A former boss once tried sell me into an arranged marriage with some Saudi dude, and I will never be completely certain if he was joking or not.

 I've learned to pray, grown closer to god, and drifted away again. These days I try not to let organised religion get in the way of my relationship with god. I'll do my best, and I'm happy to be judged on how I live, breathe, and think, and not how pious I pretend to be.

One thing that has not happened, is acquiring a perfect understanding of how this place works. Just when I think I am getting close to really truly and fully understanding everything, something else throws me for a loop, and I'm left with one foot on either side of the world, not really understanding here, and too far gone from there to fully understand home.

I have been far too busy to really process what it means to be leaving, and when people ask me what I'm feeling about leaving this place, I make up something about how sad it is to go, but how much I"m looking forward to a change. But in reality, I feel absolutely nothing. It's been so busy, and I've been under so much pressure that It just hasn't sunk in yet that we are going, and unlikely to return. I expect I will be something of a basket case once we arrive in Stone's home country for some R&R later this week, and I can have a good cry and just let it rip.

The blog will continue, for the short term at any rate. There are a number of stories worth telling, the local media remains extraordinarily amusing, and Oman, I think will forever fascinate me.

I leave you guys with three images I snapped today that sort of illustrate how weird, happy, luxurious, sad, bizarre and all around mystifying Oman is. I hope you all have as many wonderful, mystifying, frightening, happy, sad, and baffling experiences as I have had here.





12 comments:

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Have a safe journey lol, and maybe seeb airport will be another adventure;)

I am glad to have had a chance to read your stories.

Thank you for everything.

The Restless Quill said...

Because I love you so much, this post made me cry. But mostly it made me want to have your last wish come true --- it made me thirsty for all the experiences that you've had and more. I am not going to say anything that sounds like a bye-bye because I am going to be a constant nuisance in your life. :P

Sythe said...

Thanks for everything Suburban. Yours was the first blog I started reading when I moved here.

I'll miss you.

Matthew Teller said...

Lovely sign-off. I've never met you, will probably never meet you, but I may tread in a few of your footprints. Take care; it's been a privilege...

Delirious in the Desert said...

All the best on this new journey Suburban and Co.

pRasad said...

Since when are you living there?

If possible plzz share more pics...You have gone through a lot..so, where are you moving?..and yeah...plz continue posting..:)

Amber said...

amazing. A new chapter begins. Be fearless!!!!

Noora.S said...

I'm so sad I never got to meet you, I'll miss you (might not make sense but that's how I feel right now!)

Safe trip, Suburban.

Love,
Noora

scarlet pimpernel said...

Bye bye suburban .. i started reading you even before i moved here. Good luck!!! and keep us posted of your adventures.

Umm Sarah said...

I'm sad I never met you, but am glad I read your awesome outlook on life....take care and be well, wherever you go. Cheers

Bobby said...

Thanks for sharing all those wonderful things with us.

miss you..

Leo Americanus said...

Suburban,
Good luck on your travels and thank you so much for your blog. Although I moved away from Oman, I miss it very much. My travels continue and I hope to come back to Oman before long. One night, a few months back, I flew over Seeb and looked down into the dust to catch a glimpse of where my home had been. Now, I'm in a place much farther from paradise, but the mountains do take me back sometimes. "Never hesitate to go far away, beyond all seas, all countries, all frontiers, all beliefs." Binshoufik b3dein.